Universal online formatter (JSON, XML, HTML, SQL, …): what you paste is immediately beautified with syntax highlighting, node navigation, minimap, recursive formatting, search supporting regular expression, ...
Format Express is the ideal companion to help you read minified input found in logs or web services.
What are the supported formats ?
- XML, either a complete document or just a fragment.
- HTML, and also formats CSS inside <style> tag.
- YAML, not much for formatting, but for a nice viewer.
- SQL, mostly ANSI syntax (⚠ vendor specific dialects and PL/SQL may not be correctly interpreted).
Is this a validator ?
No, it's not a validator: the formatter is very permissive and will do its best even for invalid data.
What do you mean by “permissive” ?
I'm just trying to make your life easier:
- you copied JSON from a log file and mistakenly included the date/time ? Format Express will format the JSON nonetheless.
- your browser added minus signs at the beginning of each XML tags ? Format Express will remove them.
- you selected input from a fixed-width console which adds dummy new lines every 80 chars ? Format Express will ignore them.
- you found XML inside another XML tag ? Format Express can unescape the inner XML and format it.
- you uncovered an ugly SQL request in Java source code ? Paste it with the quotes and Format Express will unescape it for you.
- and more...
Tell me about privacy. Is my data safe ?
Yes. The data submitted on this site is securely sent over HTTPS to the server for the formatting, where it is neither saved nor logged.
How can I trust you ?
You can't ! So if your data contains sensitive or personal information, do not submit it on any random website, including this one.
- Arrow keys : navigate from line to line, expand or collapse blocks.
- Ctrl + arrow keys : navigate 20 lines at a time.
- Alt + arrow keys : navigate between lines of the same level.
- Ctrl + Alt + arrow keys : scroll window.
Created by Christophe Boulet :
- The viewer now supports YAML (June 2021)
- Improved HTML and CSS support (May 2021)
- Filter option in search to show only lines with matches (April 2021)
- Warnings for mismatched tags and symbols (March 2021)
- Huge performance improvement for large inputs, and the max limit size has been increased to 8Mb. (March 2021)
- Settings to change the number of spaces used for indentation. More settings will be added later (February 2021)
- Keyboard navigation, drag and drop of text and files (January 2021)
- Replace unicode notation \uXXXX or &#XXXX; with the real character via a tooltip menu (December 2020)
- Detect XML or JSON inside a value. The value can be unescaped and formatted via a tooltip menu (December 2020)
- Minimap of the formatted text for easier navigation (November 2020)
- In-app search, with regular expressions support (September 2020)
- Dark mode (May 2020)
- Breadcrumb navigation for XML and JSON (May 2020)
- Partial Hjson support : comments, multiline strings (April 2020)
- Support for input copied from a fixed-width console (April 2020)
- Syntax highlighting for XML, JSON and SQL + expand/collapse nodes (March 2020)
- More flexibility for the XML formatter and limited HTML support (February 2020)
- More flexibility for the JSON formatter : fragments, single quotes, missing quotes... (January 2020)